On 28th November 2011, Lao Airlines from Vientiane was welcomed in Singapore at the Singapore Changi Airport. Changi got its 11 th new city link in 2011. There would be three times a week service between Singapore and Vientiane. Hence Singapore is now connected with all its nine ASEAN neighbours and that too with direct flights.Due to good relations between Singapore and Vientiane, this decision has been taken.
Some interesting points to note that
- Singapore is among the top 10 investors of Lao. Mostly the investment is done in the sectors like manufacturing and hospitality.
- Also there has been a growth of 40 percent yearly in the bilateral trade in 2011 from January to September which is amounted to US $ 29 million.
- Singapore and Laos are cooperating with each other in the sectors like education,tourism and healthcare, since Laos joined ASEAN in 1997.
- The number of travelers going from Singapore to Laos grew about 8 percent yearly i.e. 6100 in 2010 and for vice- versa i.e. from Laos to Singapore, the percentage is 25 which is 5200 in 2010.
- It is predicted that the this new direct city link will boost the business and leisure travel between both countries.
Lao Airlines will use its brand new A320 aircraft in a two class configuration and has seating arrangement for 142 passengers.
Also the services will take place on Tuesdays,Thursdays and Sundays from Vientiane at 1505 hours and will reach Singapore on the same day at 1830 hours.
The airlines will take off from Singapore at 1940 hours and will arrive in Vientiane at 2105 hours.
With this new service, Lao Airlines will give Changi’s airport strong link to Europe and Southwest Pacific in order to have presence in these markets.