Belle Vue in Singapore has a very interesting history. After it was first built, the House changed many hands before being finally demolished and built into a sprawling hill top residential complex. Read on below for its journey through nearly two centuries.
Where is it located?
Belle Vue is located in District 09, on 15-23 Oxley Walk, Leonie Hill, Orchard. It is a huge residential condo complex developed by International Associated Co Pvt Ltd. The complex houses ninety six beautifully built condos. Located in the prime area of Orchard Road, Belle Vue is a low density and low rise area. Its lovely hill top location makes it very attractive option for living. Also, the place is just a five minute walk from Dhoby Ghat MRT station.
The original Belle Vue was built way back in 1842 for Dr. Thomas Oxley who was a reputed government surgeon in Singapore. The sprawling building was designed by Coleman, the first architect of the country. The house was built on a hill, the rest of which was covered by nutmeg plantation belonging to the doctor. The area on the hill owned by the doctor was around 175 acres. Since he was its first occupant, the hill was named Oxley Hill after him. The house, however, was called Killiney House back then. It was only later in the 1890s that it was renamed Belle Vue.
In 1857, Dr. Oxley moved out of Singapore because his plantation failed. Before going, he sold his home and the plantation to a Anglo – Chinese boarding school. Some of the very prominent Chinese businesses of the 1800s were trustees of this institution. The school functioned for more than thirty years and then, it was sold to the Manasseh Meyers.
Manasseh Meyer who was a philanthropist and a famous member of the Jewish community, bought the house in 1890. Meyer renovated the house and added a new wing because he had a huge family. The rooms of the new wing were large and spacious. He was also much interested in gardening and landscaping. So, he converted the hill into a beautiful garden with a host of tropical plants. The garden was a pride for the entire community. The house itself was grand and had a terrace done with wrought iron moldings. The Meyers family lived in Belle Vue until 1976.
In 1976, Belle Vue was sold to International Associated Company, a construction company. The developer brought down the original structure and erected a huge condominium complex. The construction was completed in 1986. The complex, which was built in the Oxley Hill, had five blocks of four storied condo buildings. These houses were much in demand and people rushed over to buy a home here, because of several reasons. Firstly, being built on the hill, the condos provide excellent view of the sea and the entire panorama. Secondly, the rich history of the house and the hill made provided ample attraction for people and was a matter of pride to live in a home here.
After thirteen years, Belle Vue condos and the entire condo site were put up for sale.
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.