The Jinrikisha Station in Chinatown is counted as one of the important historic buildings in Singapore. It is centrally located at the junction of Neil Road and Tanjong Pagar of Chinatown. The very name of the station reminds us of rickshaws, small light weighted carts that run on large wheels which were first imported from Shanghai to Singapore in 1880. In 1888, a Jinricksha Department was set up for registering and licensing rickshaws. The demand for rickshaws grew so fast that by the end of 19th century Japan started manufacturing the cheaper versions of the same.
But unfortunately the laborious job of pulling rickshaws did not fetch them much money. They had to lead tough lives in cramped cubicles in Shophouses of Chinatown. Gradually two seaters were banned as it became impossible for the pullers to drag such heavy weighted loads. Single seated ones remained the most popular mode of rickshaw. But after the Second World War, rickshaws were banned through Government legislation and since then the streets of Singapore is devoid of rickshaws and rickshaw pullers.
The present status of the Jinricksha Station in Chinatown is quite impressive as it is being preserved and has been leased out for various commercial purposes.
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.