Wak Hai Cheng Bio Temple in Chinatown is actually known as Yueh Hai Ching Temple which is located at Phillip Street of the Central Area, Singapore's central business district. Yueh Hai Ching Temple is called Wak Hai Cheng Bio in Teochew. It is the oldest Taoist temple in Singapore and it is highly significant for the Teochew community which is associated with sea life. Wak Hai Cheng Bio Temple in Chinatown is known for its three dimensional moulded ornaments on the roof.
The very name of the temple Yueh Hai Ching in Chinatown means"Temple of the Calm Sea" suggesting its association with sea life.
The Teochews were mainly fishermen and sailors who used to carry out trade in sea food. This is why Wak Hai Cheng Bio Temple in Chinatown is of great importance for them.
It is said that the temple was built by the immigrants from Guangzhou in 1826 in the form of a wood- and- attap shrine along the seashore. Wak Hai Cheng Bio Temple in Chinatown was recognized as a national monument on 28th June 1996.
The picture panels enhance the brightness of the exterior walls of the two entrance halls. The roof ridges are designed in such a fashion that it might be interpreted as a phoenix signifying good omen or a dragon, the destructive agent.
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.