The social services landscape in Singapore
Singapore has a thriving social sector as there are many voluntary and charitable organizations both in the private and public domain that offer a la carte social services.
These organizations offer unwavering services to the people of all age groups who are physically handicapped or mentally challenged or economically indigent. The establishments also extend stellar services to the elderly people who need special care.
The objectives of the social services sector in Singapore are:-
- To foster an environment where the well-being of one and all is taken care of
- To help the youth to become self-established
- To help rehabilitate the physically and mentally disabled individuals to integrate with the social mainstream
- To help economically weaker families to sustain themselves
- To provide counseling and mentoring to adolescent children and youths who go astray
Agency for Integrated Care
Assistance schemes of NCCS
The NCCS’s Children, Youth, and Family Services Department, Service Development Division has schemes to help economically and socially disadvantaged families. It has schemes for financial assistance, employment assistance, training assistance, housing loans, family care, childcare assistance, and so on. It also has plans for educational assistance, geriatric care, medical invoicing support, disability care, legal aid, transport aid, CDCs (community development Councils) and monitored schemes.
The Centre for Enabled Living
The Centre for Enabled Living is a one-stop centre for individuals who need specialized care and their care providers. It was established in 2008 to provide:-
- Extraordinary care to physically and mentally challenged by pre-empting specific needs and thereafter devising a holistic care programme monitored by the care giver
- Monitoring and co-ordinating the services to bolster the entire national network that renders social support
- To help disabled individuals to return to the mainstream of society
Family Service Centres
Family Service Centres proffer professional counseling and mentoring services to individuals who have strayed from their families and the social mainstream. There are FSCs in every neighborhood of this city-nation and one can approach a centre where social workers lend a helping hand. Anyone irrespective of caste, creed, sex or religion can visit a FSC and seek professional help.
If one needs to go in for therapy and counseling for any problem or issue including but not limited to substance abuse, disability, mental health, gambling, violence, child abuse, sexual harassment, and depression, there are many helplines that offers counseling services. Some of these helplines are ComCare Call, Credit Counseling, Samaritans of Singapore, AWWA Centre for Caregivers, National Addiction Management Services, and so on.
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.