History of the St. Andrew's Cathedral
The first St. Andrew's Church was constructed between the years 1835-1836 following the design of George Drumgoole Coleman.
The second St. Andrew's Church was built in the year 1842 and its designer was John Turnbull Thompson. The Church was closed in 1852 amid speculation of spirit activities and a damage caused by lightnings.The Church was ultimately demolished in 1855.
The St. Andrew's cathedral was designed by the executive engineer Colonel Ronald Macpherson. Like many other buildings of that time it was constructed by the Indian Convicts. Lord Bishop of Calcutta, Reverend Daniel Wilson put the foundation stone of the Church on the 4th March, 1856.On 1st October, 1861 the church held its first service. The St. Andrews Cathedral acted as an emergency-hospital before the Japanese conquered Singapore in the year 1942.
Architecture of the St. Andrew's Cathedral
George Drumgoole Coleman designed the first cathedral in the Palladian architectural style. J.T. Thomson laid out the plan for the second cathedral having a spire and a tower but that subsequently got damaged by lightning. The present St. Andrew's Cathedral lacks the intricate details which its English prototype once possessed in the 13th century owing to the fact that it was constructed by the Indian convict laborers. However Reverend Ronald Macpherson's plan has got some very nice qualities and the Cathedral is inspired by the Neo-Gothic architecture.
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.