History of Sentosa Island


It is perhaps the most interesting reading when you are going through the ups and downs in the history of Sentosa Island. Series of invaders, wars, frequent change of rulers - all these form a fine collage that has given a different shape to the history of the island. It is a story of change of power in Singapore and it seems that all the foreign powers were very much interested in having Sentosa Island in their grips. Let us take a look at the history of Sentosa Island. The story begins in the 19th century when Sentosa Island was protected as a passage meeting Keppel Harbour. In 1827, it was fortified to serve the defense purpose.

But rapid growth of harbor led to the concern of over protecting the coal stocks. And thus, Fort Siloso, Fort Serapong, Fort Connaught and the Mount Imbiah Battery were set up. By 1930, Sentosa Island was extensively fortified. Now, the actual story begins that form the most important part of the history of Sentosa Island.

It must be remembered that Sentosa Island was a British military fortress during the second world war. Artillery guns were kept in Fort Siloso and a brilliant plan was chalked out to protect the island from Japanese invaders. British believed that the sea in the south would guard the island. But, unexpectedly, Japanese sounded more intelligent when they invaded Singapore from the north. In 1942, Sentosa island became the camp for the British prisoners of the Japanese. This is not the end of the story. A twist in the history of Sentosa Island came with the surrender of Japan after 1945. The island was again taken by the British.

In 1947- Sentosa island became a
centre of locally enlisted First Singapore Regiment of the Royal Artillery (1st SRRA). Later on it was replaced by Gurkha infantry units and Fort Siloso and Fort Serapong became Catholic retreat and Protestant Church respectively.

British handed Sentosa to Singapore Armed Forces of the newly independent Government of Singapore after the Indonesian confrontation in 1960. The government decided to develop the island as a holiday spot for local tourists by 1970.

The first step towards the development was noticed with the renaming of the island as "Sentosa "which means tranquility in Malay in 1972. The Sentosa Development Corporation became active from 1st September of the same year for the overall development of the island.

1974- Singapore cable car system was built linking Sentosa to Mount Faber. The island was turned to a tourist spot with the opening of Fort Siloso, Surrender Chamber Wax Museum, Musical Fountain, and Underwater World.

1992- This year witnessed the opening of the causeway bridge that connects Sentosa to the mainland.

2005- Sentosa Express was incorporated into the plan of the government replacing the need for monorail for the internal communication of Sentosa island.

The history of Sentosa Island ends here with a happy note but we do not know whether any foreign power is still planning for any further invasions or not.


Related Links
  • Defunct Attractions Sentosa
  • Event in Sentosa Island
  • Geography of Sentosa
  • History of Sentosa Island
  • Hotels in Sentosa
  • Major Attractions Sentosa Island
  • Marina Village
  • Sentosa Beaches
  • Sentosa Tourism
  • Transport Sentosa Island



  • Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.