Singapore is the emerging as new financial and business hub among Asian countries and the country is in news for many good reasons, let us read ten top stories from the Land of Merlion for the year 2012 and 2013:
1. Singapore has earned a name for itself in the house of top twenty universities in the world for providing quality education. It is an honor for any Asian country as The National University of Singapore has earned ninth rank among top educational institutions. The research scholars and students from the university have been selected to continue their higher studies in the top ranked universities from the world.
2. Singapore has found a rewarding place among top twenty peaceful nations of the world in the year 2012-2013. Third among Asian countries and 16th among world index, the peaceful nation title has further increased the brand value of the island country. Singapore shares its ranking with Australia.
3. Singapore is among top twenty fine future brands in the world to look for. The branding of the country is done on the basis of overall development of the nation which includes standard of living, education, population business and financial conditions of the nation. Singapore ranks 14th next to France and ahead of Italy.
5. The year 2012 saw some scandals that shook the nation one such scandal at City Harvest Church. The church founder Kong Hee and other church members were involved in the misappropriation of the funds to sponsor the singing career of Kong Hee’s wife, Sun Ho. They were charged in the court for breaching the trust of the believers.
6. The Sex scandals of the year which broke out in the Singapore Civil Defense Force (SCDF) and the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) brought the nation in the bad eye of the world and citizens. The former SCDF Commissioner Peter Lim was charged with 10 corruption charges for taking sex as favor to finish job contracts. The Ex-chief of CNB Ng Boon gay was also accused with similar charges of asking sex in favor of work.
8. The next story which hit Singaporean by large is the soaring resale prices of HDB flats. The flats were sold out for more than million dollars per flat, the latest being a flat that went for 1.3 million dollars.
9. The Singaporeans frequently faced breakdown of public transport systems which included bus and trains. The major SRMT breakdown happened between 15th and 17th December 2012. Singapore also witnessed SMRT bus strike which threw the normal life out of gear for some time.
10. Michella Chia the Media Corp actress has been chosen to represent Singapore in an event organized by Junior Chamber International. Michelle has been chosen as top ten talents to represent the country along with sports star Laurantia Tan and Denise Keller. The actress felt honored as she will compete with contestants from all over the world
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.