The Land Transport Authority of Singapore is in charge of providing efficient and cost effective land transport system in Singapore. Established in 1995, it is a statutory board under Ministry of Transport and ensures Singaporeans a smooth and seamless journey by providing well-lit roads and clean streets. It also conducts regular checks to make sure that public roads, footpaths, bus shelters and pedestrian overhead bridges are well maintained.
Existing roads are upgraded to speed up the traffic flow and new roads are constructed to provide motorists a wider choice of travel routes. Traffic Management is taken very seriously and systems such as pedestrian countdown signals, signalized pedestrian crossing, traffic signs etc have been installed at all crossroads.
Seat belts are compulsory for the driver and front seat passenger. A child below eight years of age must be strapped in a child safety seat. All motorists in Singapore have to pay a fee for driving into and out of Singapore.
Cars in Singapore are on right-hand drive and are driven on the left side of the road. If you are a tourist and wish to drive around Singapore, all you need is an International Driver's License, which can be obtained from your home country or the Automobile Association of Singapore. Major car leasing companies like Avis, Hertz have their offices in Singapore. However if you are a permanent resident or have been staying in Singapore for more than 12 months, you will be required to convert your driver's license into a Singapore driving license. Singapore driving license is valid for life.
To do this, read the guidelines carefully:
The Licensing Section
Traffic Police Department
10 Ubi Avenue 3
Tel: (65) 65471818
- Have your current and valid license as well as proof of your stay in Singapore.
- Have your foreign license translated if it is not in English.
- Confirm through your passport and other official documents that you have resided in the country of issue for a continuous period of six months and that your foreign driving license was obtained during this period.
- Pass the Basic Theory Test if you're looking to convert to a Singapore driving license.
- Carry a passport-sized color photograph with white background.
- Pay $50 fee.
- Overseas students must produce proof of six months' stay in the country e.g. educational transcripts or Letter of Acceptance into the Educational Institution and the relevant visa in the passport.
- For those employed overseas, please produce Letter of Employment or Income Tax Returns or supportive documents from employers and the relevant Employment Pass in the passport.
- For Malaysian license holders, an extract from Jabatan Pengangutan Jalan (JPJ) is compulsory.
Automobile Association of Singapore
Disclaimer: The data provided here is based on the facts and research using available sources. As the data is made available on "as is" basis and subject to change anytime. This website shall not be liable for any discrepancy found in the data on our site and actual figures.